Look to the Sun, Moon, and Stars!
Campers are invited to jump into the joy of creating community through the arts! Inspired by the rich legacy of Oregon College of Art and Craft, Catlin Gabel School is thrilled to introduce a new and vibrant arts camp experience this summer that is open to youth in the greater Portland-metro community.
The arts have the capacity to reflect and transform us by opening doors into unfamiliar worlds and encouraging engagement in shared creativity, curiosity, and compassion for our common humanity. Art Adventures seeks to ignite hearts and minds and foster global and social responsibility through storytelling, inquiry, imagination, and creative exploration.
Art Adventures 2020 is an inclusive, process-oriented, choice-based, and hands-on weekly art camp designed for children going into grades 1-7. Studios embrace a wide range of ages, skill levels, abilities, and perspectives. Everyone contributes to the overall sense of connection, purpose, and consideration for each other’s experiences, which is actively promoted and is further encouraged through low camper to staff ratios. Campers work with professional teaching artists who bring a wide range of backgrounds and experience in the visual and performing arts. At the beginning and end of each day, campers, artists, counselors, and staff gather together to connect and listen to stories and to share discoveries.
Choice Guides the Journey
To access everyone’s inherent creative abilities, campers choose a morning studio for the week and afternoon studios each day, working alongside each other and within a wide range of ages, skills, abilities, and perspectives. This flexibility allows campers to discover something about themselves and the larger world.
Every week campers can take part in a wide variety of hands-on visual and performing arts disciplines that include fibre, painting and illustration, 3-D design, printmaking, paper arts, woodworking, music, movement arts, and puppetry/animation. Campers will engage individually and together in exploration, inquiry, and open-ended dialogue as a way to foster cross-pollination, collaboration, and discovery.
● Art Adventures runs for four weeks: June 22-26, July 6-10, July 13-17, July 20-24. Campers who attend more than one week will have the opportunity to choose and create new adventures, as each week features different storytellers who represent a variety of perspectives and experiences.
● Week-long day camp sessions run Monday – Friday from 9 am-3 pm. Extended care is available in the morning and afternoons from 7:30-9 am and 3-6 pm.
● Weekly tuition is $390.
● Art Adventures takes place on the Catlin Gabel Campus (8825 SW Barnes Rd) in the Creative Arts Center.
● Each week culminates in a community festivity on Friday afternoon to sing, share, and celebrate our discoveries, connections, and accomplishments; friends and families are invited to join in the joy!
Register now at Art Adventures!
- Featured Camp of the Week: Catlin Gabel School Summer Camps - March 28, 2023
- Giveaway: Free Family Pass (4) to North Clackamas Aquatic Park Big Surf Recreation Swim - March 26, 2023
- Portland-Area Earth Day Events - March 24, 2023