Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy chocolate cake.
Story and photo by Judith Rich
While healthful eating plays an important role in our household, treating my family to something indulgent is something I also like to do. After all, if you don’t give in a little, their cravings get much stronger (and, if we’re talking preschoolers, louder).
Enter this rich chocolate yogurt cake, which is not only easy and fast to make but also great for involving your little sous chefs. My 3-and-a-half-year-old, Edie, helped me make it recently. Together, we measured out all the ingredients, mixed them in a big bowl and then poured it into the loaf pan to bake. The entire process is lots of fun, as you get to watch the yogurt mixture change into something velvety, dark and beautiful.
The recipe is also nice to make with kids because it’s very forgiving and quick to prepare. After it’s done, wait for about an hour to cut it and dress it up with your favorite spread, such as almond or peanut butter, fruit preserves or whatever you’ve got on hand. This cake also keeps well in the freezer if you’d like to save some of it for another day.
Chocolate Yogurt Cake
Makes 1 loaf
1 cup flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
3 large eggs
¾ cup plain yogurt
½ cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
2. Coat an 8-inch-by-4-inch loaf pan with canola oil.
3. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add salt and sugar.
4. Add eggs, yogurt and oil. Whisk until fully incorporated.
5. Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.
6. Cool for about an hour before slicing and serving.
- Recipe File: Homemade Lemonade - June 16, 2020
- Gluten-free Eggplant Parm - April 13, 2020
- Recipe File: Easy Cheesy Bread - March 9, 2020