Don’t miss this little circus with a big heart.
This week we visited Vancouver to see Venardos Circus. My son was 100% on board the second I uttered the work circus, while my daughter was a bit more skeptical. But once we spotted the red-and-white striped tent located behind the Vancouver Mall, they both became visibly excited.
Their excitement only increased once we walked into the tent and entered the world of circus. Although small, the signage, lights, snacks, toys, and face painting immediately created a fun and nostalgic environment. The pre-show was already underway, and the kids were instantly engaged and remained engrossed as I grabbed some classic circus snacks — fresh popcorn and pink lemonade. Yum!
The circus began with the ringmaster welcoming us through song and explaining the history of Venardos Circus. As a former ringmaster for the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus, Mr. Venardos created his own traveling circus following personal adversity. He uses the values of reaching for your dreams, persevering in the face of challenges, and the importance of working together as unifying themes for the show.
And then the real show began. There were aerial acrobats, an impressive diablo yoyo act, a hilarious clown (not the scary kind), balancing acts, an acrobatic duo with incredible flexibility, teamwork, and balance, a woman who freed herself from a straight jacket while suspended upside down from a hula hoop, and more. The entire show is animal-free. We each had our favorite act, but all were fun in their own way.
Overall, it was a great way to spend an evening. We all had a wonderful time, and the entire tent was filled with smiling faces. The performers and music kept the audience energy level high, and people cheered and clapped throughout the entire show. The show was described as the little circus with a big heart, and that’s exactly what it was.
As we left, I asked my children what they thought. My daughter said she was very glad she came and that she loved the acrobats. My son said, “I wasn’t sure what to expect, but that was actually pretty legit!” High praise from a 9-year-old!
Venardos Circus will be in Vancouver until June 19th. Tickets start at $16.50 for children, $28.50 for adults. They are going fast, so don’t wait; buy your tickets here!
- Arrive early! Pre-show performances start an hour before the show for additional fun. Most seats are general admission, so arriving early will get you the best view.
- The ringmaster goes outside and interacts with guests during the intermission. Children also gathered to play together and with their newly purchased merchandise.
- The music is quite loud. Kids with sensory sensitivities may benefit from noise canceling headphones.
- The actual show runs a little over 1.5 hours.
- A Night Out With Apples in Winter - March 4, 2023
- Venardos Circus Delights - June 9, 2022
- Vanport the Musical Educates and Inspires - May 22, 2022