Sometimes we all need a little celebration in the middle of the week, whether it is a birthday, a Hallmark holiday, a successful test score or just because. These browned butter, brown sugar “blondies” are perfect for celebrating on a Tuesday night! The batter is made on the stovetop and then popped in the oven. If you have a 10-inch ovenproof skillet you can prep it all in one pan, in just 5 minutes!
The secret to the flavor of these bars is the browned butter. After the butter melts, swirl it with a wooden spoon, watching carefully. You’ll know it is almost ready when a foam develops on top of the melted pool of butter. I have found that just about the time the bubbles die down, the butter begins to brown and take on a delicious nutty smell. As soon as this happens, turn off the heat. The smell is the key, so keep your nose close to the pan.
Browned Butter and Brown Sugar Blondies
6 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup flour
optional: ¼ cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
2. Heat a medium saucepan or 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in pan. The butter will bubble, and as the bubbles die down, the milkfat will start to brown.
3. Turn off heat once butter is nutty-smelling and browned. Add the additional 2 tablespoons of butter and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
4. Let this mixture cool for a few minutes, then stir in eggs, vanilla and salt.
5. Stir in baking powder and flour. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate, if using.
6. If you are using an ovenproof skillet, place directly into preheated oven. Otherwise pour into a greased 9-inch-by-9-inch baking pan.
7. Bake 30-35 minutes or until edges are set, but the middle is still slightly gooey. Let rest at least 20 minutes before eating. (These are excellent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!).
- Recipe File: Hip, Hip Veggie Dip - February 24, 2018
- Celebration Blondies - January 24, 2018
- Recipe File: Turkey Meatballs - December 28, 2017