From our friends at Willamette Connections Academy:
Not every school is an ideal match for every student. While some students thrive in a traditional brick-and-mortar environment, others do not. Many students require a classroom environment that accommodates their individual pace of learning, shaped by personalized plans with a consideration of factors like health conditions and unique learning styles.
Questioning whether to make the switch to a different school midyear can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. A great time to make the transition is after a semester just ended because big projects are complete, grades are in, and you can start the new semester off with a fresh start.
The educators at Willamette Connections Academy, a tuition-free online public school serving students in grades K-12 throughout Oregon, recommend families consider transferring to an online school for any of the following reasons:
- Your child’s needs are not being met: If your child’s needs aren’t being met in school, either academically, socially or emotionally despite working with the school to make changes, your school may not be the right fit. A change of setting can provide them with a fresh start to develop independently and reach goals that may not have been possible before.
- Your child requires a new learning environment: Children dealing with bullying may want to seek out a different learning environment and consider online school. In an online school, the social stressors of a traditional school setting are eliminated, and your student can focus solely on their education and spend more time building healthy friendships in the comfort of their own home.
- Your child needs flexibility: Many exceptionally talented children attend online school to take advantage of the flexibility that allows them to pursue their careers or extracurricular activities whether it’s athletics, music or acting, while still receiving a high-quality education that is never hampered by the restrictions of in-person schooling.
- You want to be more involved in your child’s education: You can become a hands-on member of your child’s education team by switching to an online school serving K-12 students and becoming your child’s Learning Coach. Learning Coaches work alongside highly qualified teachers to guide, support and motivate their student.
- Your family is dealing with health conditions: A virtual school can give students a safe, consistent school experience while they overcome health challenges. Students who have complex medical conditions or illnesses that require scheduling flexibility may also find a midyear school change beneficial.
If your student isn’t succeeding in their current learning environment, you don’t need to wait until next summer to make a change. By making a switch now, you can ensure your child finds academic success during the current school year. While requirements for switching schools vary based on several factors, exploring your options now can ensure you find a good solution for your student before the new semester begins in January.
To learn more about Willamette Connections Academy, visit WillametteConnectionsAcademy.com or call 800-382-6010 for more information.