The staff at Basics Market gives tips for teaching kids how to crack and whisk eggs for cute and tasty mini-frittatas.
Technique: Cracking & Whisking Eggs
Why learn these skills? Cracking eggs is a skill that opens the door to a wealth of recipes from sweet to savory. And whisking is an important mixing technique that helps incorporate air into recipes — in egg recipes, the whisking process can help create a fluffier dish. Cracking eggs can be fun and messy! Have lots of towels and aprons on hand. Whisking effectively is a technique that requires more coordination than stirring. So kids may need extra practice. Model the motion for your child. Letting them practice in a bowl of water also may be helpful. Encourage them to see if they can make the water spin.
All that practice cracking yields these delicious mini-frittatas perfect for breakfast, lunch or a snack. The recipe is extremely versatile — you can swap in your favorite veggies and cheese or substitute sauteed mushrooms for the bacon. Add herbs and spices if you’d like to amp up the flavor! Plus, the recipe is easily doubled if you need to feed a crowd.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
12 organic eggs, such as Gwendolyn’s™
1 cup milk, such as Lulubelle’s™ Creamery Ultra-Filtered milk
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons butter at room temperature for greasing muffin tin
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
6 tablespoons chopped green onions
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese, such as Lulubelle’s™ Creamery Cheddar
⅔ cup cooked, chopped bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk in the milk, salt and pepper.
3. Using a pastry brush or piece of paper towel, lightly butter each cup in a muffin tin.
4. Place 2 cherry tomato halves, ½ tablespoon of green onion, 1 tablespoon cheese and ½ tablespoon chopped bacon in each cup.
5. Ladle in the egg mixture just to fill the cup.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and puffed, and the mixture is firm. Make sure internal temp reaches 165ºF.
Locally owned Basics Market is committed to nurturing strong, healthy communities through food. Find more info and lots of recipes at basicsmarket.com.
- Giveaway: An eight (8) week Creative Ballet session at The Portland Ballet ($120 value) - October 3, 2022
- Featured School of the Week: Arbor School of Arts & Sciences - October 3, 2022
- Halloween Fun in the Portland Area - October 3, 2022