Help your kids learn to measure dry ingredients by baking this secretly healthy snack cake from the staff at Basics Market.
Kitchen Technique: Measuring | Age: 4+
Measuring is the perfect first cooking task for kids. You can start by holding measuring utensils with them to model the scooping motion, or pre-measure ingredients for them to dump into a bowl. This skill is important because proper measuring can be the key to the success of a recipe, especially when it comes to baking. This snack cake is simple to make but has several ingredients, so it’s ideal for practicing measuring skills. The cake has a moist texture, is packed with flavor, and happens to be gluten-free, nut-free and vegan. It’s great for breakfast, an afternoon snack or dessert.
Lemon-blueberry Snack Cake
Prep time: 15 min | Bake time: 30-45 min
Butter or nonstick cooking spray
½ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup water
⅔ cup maple syrup
1 ½ cup oat flour
½ cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ cup frozen or 1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup applesauce
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon lemon extract
Zest of 1 large lemon, about 1 tablespoon
½ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons almond milk
Zest of ¼ of a lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small mixing bowl, add flaxseed meal, water and maple syrup. Stir and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients (oat flour through nutmeg) and stir together to combine.
4. Add blueberries and toss to coat. Set aside.
5. After the flaxseed mixture has rested for 10 minutes, add applesauce, olive oil, lemon extract and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
6. Pour the flaxseed mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
7. Pour mixture evenly into prepared baking pan.
8. Place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the center is baked through.
9. If you’d like to add the glaze: In a small mixing bowl, add all glaze ingredients and stir until well combined. Spoon glaze over completely cooled cake. If the glaze is too thick, add additional almond milk by the teaspoonful until you like the consistency.
• Use sized (¼ cup, ½ cup, etc.) measuring cups to measure dry ingredients and a spouted measuring cup to measure liquid ingredients.
• Use the fork-spoon-knife method for measuring flour. Fluff the flour with a fork, gently scoop it into a measuring cup with a spoon, then level it by scraping over the top of the cup with the back of a butter knife.
Oats are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which has shown to promote gut and heart health. Blueberries contain anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants shown to possess anti-inflammatory
- Featured Camp of the Week: Vibe of Portland Art and Music Summer Camps - May 13, 2021
- Featured Camp of the Week: Lovegood Performing Arts Company - May 10, 2021
- Kids ❤️ Adventure - May 10, 2021