PDX Parent, Portland’s top resource for local moms and dads, is seeking a managing editor. The editorial staff of PDX Parent sees itself as that one in-the-know friend and we want our fellow parents to know all our secrets. We do an excellent job of covering critical topics that have a huge impact on local families: inequities in after-school programming, kids who are fighting for climate change, how schools measure up on either side of the Columbia River, and how families are coping with the sky-rocketing cost of housing in the Portland metro area. And we cover fun stuff for families each issue as well, with columns about kid-friendly outings and family-centered restaurant reviews. Our ideal managing editor will be eager to bring this kind of smart, readable, locally focused content to our readers. The managing editor is involved in all editorial aspects of producing each issue: Developing story ideas with the editor, working with freelancers, writing in-house stories, story editing, copy editing and proofreading, and writing headlines and coverlines.
This a part-time, work-from-home position. Good organizational and time-tracking abilities a must.
- On-staff experience at a newspaper or magazine, or extensive experience as a freelance writer and editor
- Strong story-editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to write engaging brief front-of-book pieces, columns and the occasional feature-length article.
- Ability to collaborate
- Ability to meet production deadlines
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or English
- Knowledge of local parenting topics a plus
Approximately 40-55 hours a month with the potential for increased hours @ $21.50/hour.
To apply or learn more, contact Denise Castañon at firstname.lastname@example.org.