After the past few years, it can sometimes feel as though we are all operating with a joy-deficit. Enter: Olive & Dingo, everyone’s favorite joy-bringers.
Maybe you’ve seen them riding around Portland on tall bikes. Maybe they made a balloon animal for your child at a party, shared a silly story at a festival, or inspired your whole family to dance with their rock-n-roll and punk tunes. Wherever you encounter Olive & Dingo, one thing is for sure — you’ll leave happier than when you arrived. That’s the magic of this duo: infectious joy. And we could all use a little more of that these days.
Olive & Dingo have been entertaining kids for more than a decade, starting when a local cafe asked the pair to perform for the children of their customers. Parents and kids couldn’t get enough of Olive’s silly voices and vocals, Dingo’s guitar skills and rock-n-roll stage presence, and the lively, fast paced shows, perfect for tiny attention spans. The positive energy between this married duo (and self-described best friends) is something special; plus how many rock-n-roll story-time tall bike neighborhood clowns are there?
Is your child afraid of clowns? Olive Rootbeer understands: “Sometimes people get scared when they hear there will be clowns performing at the show, but then they meet us and we ruin how scared they were gonna be by making them happy. Clowns are people, too. Olive and Dingo are scared of clowns sometimes, too. That’s OK.”
In the midst of the hilarity, Olive & Dingo also manage to touch hearts. One of their most popular bits is when Dingo gets too shy to read a book to the kids and runs around the venue, hiding and popping out periodically, as Olive tries to help by acting out the story for him. It’s a funny bit, but it resonates with children who do feel shy sometimes. Dingo Dizmal gets it.
The chemistry between Olive & Dingo is pure magic, and we are so grateful they share it with Portland. As they put it, “The world is better with neighborhood clowns making kids laugh, jump and squeal with glee.”
Where to Find Olive & Dingo
We are thrilled that Olive & Dingo will be performing at our annual PDX Parent Family Festival, which is free to families thanks to the generosity of our sponsors.
- Catch them at our FREE PDX Parent Family Festival on June 18!
- Don’t miss their weekly show, every Tuesday at Uplifted Boutique and Makers Market in the Good Medicine Theater.
- Join Open Mic Night at 7 pm, every other Sunday at Uplifted Boutique and Makers Market in the Good Medicine Theater. Bring your talent!
- Spot them in the Rose Festival Junior Parade on June 8.
- On social media: Follow them on Facebook or Instagram.
- Be a regular at their very popular Slide Ride event, when they host group bike rides for kids in the park.
- At their website: OliveandDingo.com
- Keep up with our Kids Calendar, as new performances will be listed there.
- And in between all these fun events, they might be found in your backyards celebrating birthday parties or making balloon deliveries!
How to Support the Artists
- Book them for your next event or birthday party!
- Send someone you love balloons and a clown visit!
- Send them a message if you hear of an opportunity perfect for these neighborhood clowns.
- If you’d like to buy them a lunch or chip into the “keep the wheels on the ground fund,” donate here.
- If you snag a photo of them on their tallbikes, be sure to tag them on FB or IG to spread the word about these joy-bringers.
- And in the words of Olive Rootbeer, “Keep us in your hearts and minds and keep being you!”
Thank you to our 2022 Festival Sponsors!
- This Weekend in PDX - March 28, 2023
- Go Chasing Waterfalls at Wahclella Falls - March 14, 2023
- St. Patrick’s Day Fun - March 6, 2023