From our friends at Oregon Mermaids
Since 2012, Oregon Mermaids have hosted a free, family celebration for their fellow Portlandians!
Sunday, August 26th, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
Director Park, 815 SW Park Ave.
FREE FAMILY ACTIVITIES
- Oregon Mermaids and friends will be performing Conservation through Education which includes hands-on conservation games
- Free face painting by an Oregon Mermaid
- Home Depot Kids Workshop with Store #4001: free workshop craft kit for each child
- Mermaid and pirate meet and greets and DJ music playing
- Teachers Fountain for splashing
This is a family-friendly, body-positive event. It’s not required for the kids to come in their favorite pirate, mermaid, or sea creature costume, however many kids do, and we love to see them! Please join us on Sunday, August 26 at Director Park!
WHO ARE THE OREGON MERMAIDS?
The Oregon Mermaids offer services with an element of wonder, fantasy, and unique interactive entertainment, including educational sea and ocean conservation classes, face painting, crafts, dress up, and one-on-one interaction with their mermaids. They attend birthday parties, festivals, street fairs, and camps.
Oregon Mermaids founder Collette Remsen-Harvey was a mermaid for a local aquarium a few years back, when she met and bonded with a child “Bryten,” who had a rare illness that had caused her to have over three hundred broken bones. Remsen herself had been recovering from major surgeries, and credits connecting with Bryten and other children with her recovery. “The children were helping me heal just as much as I was helping them,” she says. Her work during this time led to her creating the Oregon Mermaids’ Conservation through Education program to focus on conservation and recycling.
More than 500 people, including other mermaids from the community, are expected at the Director Park Party. The honorary guest is Bryten, the little girl from Randall Children’s Hospital who changed the path for Remsen and her Oregon Mermaids.
To learn more about the Oregon Mermaids or with questions about the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Giveaway: Free Family Pass (4) to North Clackamas Aquatic Park Big Surf Recreation Swim - March 26, 2023
- Portland-Area Earth Day Events - March 24, 2023
- April 2023 Digital Issue - March 23, 2023