From our friends at Shoott, a female-led startup now in the Portland area with the mission to bring great photography to everyone.
Fall is quickly approaching, which means: it’s family portrait season! You’ve seen gorgeous family photos on social media and may have wondered how to replicate those picture-perfect shots when it seems your kids barely look at the camera at the same time. Shoott has a team of experienced local photographers who know exactly how to grab those Insta-worthy shots in just 30 minutes, and they’re sharing their favorite posing tips for how to get a gallery full of shareable, printable photos you can cherish for a lifetime.
Going for a more “posed” look? If so, some elements to play with:
- Levels! Grab the traditional shots with everyone standing or sitting, but create more variety by mixing standing members with others who are sitting or kneeling. Work with elements like large rocks, benches, trees and grass.
- Angles: For a more artistic approach, have the photographer work from the side or from behind or above you. A family favorite is having kids or parents lying on the grass and being photographed birds-eye view.
- Mix-and-match combos: Think of all the combinations of family members – just kids, just parents, mom/daughter, and so on! Pro-tip: sessions are also a great opportunity for parents to snag solo LinkedIn shots.
- Toys: For pups and young kids in particular, bring their favorite toy or squeaker so the photographer can use it to grab their attention and direct their gaze towards the camera.
For the more “organic” approach to really capture personalities, try:
- Movement: Movement helps minimize stiffness or awkwardness. Walk towards or away from camera, run, twirl, jump, or play with clothing.
- Interacting: Tell the kids a joke; have them tell you a joke. Talking and laughing together creates beautiful family moments which create family photo gold.
- Play: Play with the kids by chasing them, swinging them, lifting them up in the air. Their energy and joy inspire truly Insta-worthy moments.
So let loose and give some of these a try! You’ll be surprised at the golden moments the photographer will be able to capture when you’re relaxed and having fun.
If you’re looking for a photographer for your holiday shots, Shoott is a female-led startup now in the Portland area with the mission to bring great photography to everyone. A 5-star rated service on Google, Facebook, and Tripadvisor, their signature offering is a free 30 minute mini session. Receive your digital gallery in 3-5 business days and only pay for the photos you love at $15 each or less.
Session dates are live through November and locations can be viewed here. Use code PDXPARENT and get 10% off your purchase of 5+ photos.
Follow Shoott on Instagram and Facebook @shoottphotos for daily inspo and photo ideas.
- Spring Break Camps - March 5, 2021
- Featured Camp of the Week: Catlin Gabel Summer Camps - March 4, 2021
- Love Good Musical Theater? - March 4, 2021