A turkey meatloaf from Laurelwood Brewing Company that your kids will gobble up.
This BBQ turkey meatloaf is one of my go-tos for family weeknight dinners. It requires little prep and is on the table in less than two hours. However, juggling six kids’ schedules can make finding even an hour difficult. To save time, I make the meatloaf mixture the night before, so it’s ready to go in the oven when we get home. With the use of turkey instead beef, this meatloaf is not only better suited for kids’ palettes, but it’s healthier, too!
BBQ Turkey Meatloaf
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced onion
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
2 pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
¾ cup bread crumbs
½ cup barbecue sauce (I recommend Laurelwood Brewing Company’s Free Range Red BBQ sauce)
- Preheat your oven to 375˚ F.
- In a sauté pan, heat up the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the celery and onions and sauté until halfway cooked, but still crisp. Let cool in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, onions, celery, salt, pepper and celery salt, and mix well. Add the eggs and mix. Slowly incorporate the breadcrumbs while mixing, and take care not to overmix.
- Grease or cover a sheet pan with parchment paper and transfer the meatloaf mixture to the pan. Shape the mixture into a loaf shape, about 9 inches by 5 inches.
- Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes, or until it is 160 degrees, then smother it with barbecue sauce.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the meatloaf cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Cut into thick slices and serve with an extra drizzle of barbecue sauce! At my house, we love to pair this meatloaf with hand-mashed potatoes and fresh corn.
- Comfort Food - January 26, 2016