A quick treat that doubles as an afternoon snack — and gluten-free to boot.
My girls (ages 8 and 10) have decided that they’re old enough now to be in charge of breakfast sometimes, so I gave them this recipe for pancake bites. With its easy 10-ingredient, 2-bowl prep, and less than 20 minute bake time, this recipe is simple enough for kids to whip up or perfect for parents short on time. The girls decided to have fun with it and use chocolate chips, blueberries, coconut, and almonds as toppings. We’ve already talked about doubling the batch so they can enjoy the remaining bites for snack throughout the following week. These also freeze and travel well — think lunch boxes and to-go containers.
Gluten-free Pancake Bites
1 ¼ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, sifted (such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or honey)
1 egg, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk*
1/4 cup melted coconut oil, cooled (or vegetable oil)
Toppings: shredded coconut, gluten-free chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts
Optional: honey or pure maple syrup for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 24 serving mini-cupcake pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the maple syrup, egg, buttermilk and oil. Add the flour mixture all at once to the wet mixture and stir just till combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop one level tablespoon of batter into each mini-cupcake cup. Repeat until all cups are full. If desired, top with your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the tops start to brown and the center is set. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Using a small spoon or butter knife, gently work your way around the edge of each pancake bite and lift out of the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pro tip: Use coconut yogurt instead of buttermilk to make these dairy free!
Looking for more kid-friendly recipes? metro-parent.com/RecipeFile
Chrystal Carver lives in Beaverton with her husband and two daughters. She is the author of “Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking; Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less!” and the recipe developer and writer behind glutenfreepalate.com. She started developing gluten-free recipes in 2009 when her daughters both tested positive for Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI). She believes that baking gluten free shouldn’t require extravagant ingredients or complicated steps. You can connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and at glutenfreepalate.com.
- Bite-sized Breakfast - September 30, 2015