The French American International School cultivates intellect and character through rigorous multilingual academic programs in an environment that promotes appreciation of diverse cultures and experiences.
Fast FactsPhotosVideosWhy a Bilingual EducationExtracurricularInternational BaccalaureateContact Us
- FAIS has 535 students in preschool through grade 8 (115 students in preschool, prekindergarten and kindergarten, 205 students in grades 1-5, and 215 students in grades 6-8).
- The maximum class size is 18 students, with an average class size of 14-16 students.
- Children who are 30 months old by September 1 are eligible to enroll for preschool classes.
- Our diverse community of families holds passports from 23 different countries, and speaks 34 different languages at home.
- Teachers at FAIS are native speakers of the language they teach. In the Lower School, students are instructed primarily in French with some English, and the Middle School offers language classes at both the beginning and advanced level for French, German, Spanish, and Mandarin, in addition to regular classes in English.
- Maternelle (preschool, prekindergarten and kindergarten) classes have one teacher and one teaching assistant, while grades 1-5 have one teacher per room.
- FAIS faculty includes specialists in art, music, P.E., library, science and technology.
- FAIS is accredited by the French Ministry of National Education, and is the only preschool-grade 8 independent school in the Portland area fully authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) for the PYP (Primary Years Programme) and MYP (Middle Years Programme).
- Our Lower School is a full French immersion program following the French national curriculum mixed with the best aspects of the American educational system and delivered within the IB framework.
- Our Middle School follows an inspiring international curriculum within an IB framework in which students strive to become independent, creative, and critical thinkers, preparing themselves as responsible citizens and leaders within their local and world communities.
- In addition to regular class time, students also work with specialists in art, music, P.E., library, science and technology, and have access to multiple outdoor recreational and discovery spaces.
- Regional trips are offered for students in all grades, and international trips are offered for students in grades 5 (to France) and 8 (to the country of their beginning language started in grade 6) as a culmination of their language studies.
Why a Bilingual Education
- Research on child development has shown that the best time to learn a language is between birth and age six, and that early bilingual education increases fluency in later years.
- Studies in language development show that early exposure to languages gives students distinct academic advantages in all areas.
- Immersion programs maximize a child's natural curiosity and offer proven benefits in cognitive and intellectual development and cultural growth, in addition to enhanced personal opportunities like self-esteem and problem-solving skills.
- Early Arrival, our before-school care program, is free of charge and starts as early as 7:30 AM until the school day begins. Students are organized in rooms by age group, and are escorted by staff to their regular classes for the start of the day.
- PM Classes are a diverse group of activities on campus, available by semester for an additional fee, taught by FAIS teachers or outside specialists, and can include theater, art, gymnastics, chess, dance, sports, and more.
- FASCA, our extended care program, runs until 6:00 PM at a reasonable rate, and is designed to provide an enriching and positive after-school experience for every child, with snack time, homework help, and games and activities.
- Competitive athletics teams for grades 5-8 include cross country, soccer, volleyball, basketball and track and field.
- For one week during school breaks in both October and February, FAIS offers optional Arts and Cultural Enrichment Week (ACE Week) for students in preschool-grade 5, and Arts Week for students in grades 6-8. These theme-based programs are focused on the arts and include outside instructors as well as members of our own faculty.
- On most in-service days, students are welcome to join FAIS+, which offers on-campus specialized workshops and field trips.
- Summer Programs are exciting and engaging week-long camps for students in preschool-grade 8, taking place both on and off the FAIS campus. They are open to both current FAIS students and the greater community.
- The International Baccalaureate comprises a worldwide network of schools that share a common commitment to making the world a better place through high-quality, international education.
- FAIS is authorized as an IB World School, using the curriculum framework of the Primary Years Programme (PYP) in the Lower School, and the Middle Years Programme (MYP) in the Middle School.
Arezu Movahed, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
503-292-7776 ext. 324
503-292-7776 ext. 310