Let the kids help you whip up this easy, no-bake, delicious chocolate dessert.
Kids will do anything for dessert! Mine especially ask how they can “earn” it, providing my husband and me with some leverage when trying to get them to eat a healthy lunch and dinner. But in addition to enjoying something sweet, I like to involve kids in dessert preparation.
My daughter Edie and I recently tried a new rendition of a classic chocolate pudding pie — made with tofu and almond milk instead of heavy cream and butter. Aside from the easy and short preparation (10-15 minutes), this pie is packed with lots of protein from the peanut (or almond) butter and the tofu. It’s important to find “soft” or “silken” tofu, which scoops out easily and gives the pie a silky, rich texture. We used a store-bought crust, but you can also make your own if you have extra time.
While this is a no-bake dessert, it does require an overnight chill process, which allows the filling to thicken. You may be tempted to dig in right away, but I urge you to exercise just a little bit of restraint, because, like most great things in life, this one’s worth the wait. But feel free to lick the chocolatey spoon to your heart’s content!
Vegan Chocolate Pie
Makes 1 pie
1 12-ounce container, soft (silken) tofu
½ cup chocolate almond milk
½ cup peanut (or almond) butter
12 ounces vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
1 store-bought graham-cracker pie crust
Sea salt (optional)
1. Mix the first three ingredients (tofu through peanut butter) in a blender until smooth.
2. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave for about a minute and a half (being careful not to scorch the chocolate) or in a double boiler. Then add melted chocolate to the blender with other ingredients. Blend until fully incorporated.
3. Pour mixture into pie crust and sprinkle with sea salt (¼ teaspoon at the most) if you like.
4. Refrigerate overnight.
- Recipe File: Homemade Lemonade - June 16, 2020
- Gluten-free Eggplant Parm - April 13, 2020
- Recipe File: Easy Cheesy Bread - March 9, 2020